Saturday, April 24, 2010

SURPRISE, you're in college

So, Brian is reaching the end of his Master's Degree, to celebrate this, I'de like to tell you the story of how I accidentally enrolled him in college. See, for the longest time Brian has wanted to go back to school to get his bachelors in Nursing (he only had an associates), however, going to a regular college and working full time to support his family was not going to happen. Then, a friend of his got her masters through University of Phoenix and was trying to talk him into going back to get his masters to teach nursing. So, he would talk about it like ALL THE TIME. Well, he never got around to checking it out. One day I was taking a "break" from work (Break is code for surfing the net) and I decided to check out University of Phoenix's website. I go on the site and I proceed to type in Brian's info, thinking that they would just mail him a packet about the school, no big deal. Well, I am not exagerating, about 10 minutes later the phone rings. "May I speak to Mr. Brian Smith" "Uhhh, he's at work, who's calling" "Oh this is the admissions department from University of Phoenix" "He's at work and will be back after 4, try back then." Again, I didnt really think anything of it..I just thought it was a courtesy call. So, I go about my day.

Meanwhile....Brian gets a call at work. "Yes, Mr. Smith, this is the admissions department at University of Phoenix. We just recieved your application (seriously it did not say APPLICATION anywhere) and would like to Interview you for classes." Brian is thinking...WWWWWHHHHAAAAATTTT...so he says Okay..and proceeds to spend an hour on the phone with them. By the end of the call they had him signed up and starting classes two weeks later. WELL, that night he was NOT happy to see me!! LOL...He was like, I guess Im going to college...Whatever, he wanted to do it, its not like I just woke up and decided, my husband needs a degree...

Around this same time, Brian was having issues with his shoulder. Actually he was having trouble for about a year and it finally got to the point where he couldn't even raise his arm above his head. I kept telling him to call the doc, but he is SO STUBBORN. So, one day I said, "hey you're going to do something fun tomorrow on your day off...you're going to the orthopedic surgeon about your shoulder." Here he had a torn rotator cuff and ended up getting surgery.

As, most of you know, I work at home doing medical transcription. One morning I came downstairs after Brian had left for work. Taped to my monitor was a note that said. "Honey, I love you very much. Please don't sign me up for the Army today. Love Brian."

Congrats Brian, I know its been a long ride but you're almost done and I am so proud of you!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness I remember that day at work! I was the LPN on with him that day and he actually answered the call at the desk. He looked worried so I asked him if everything was ok and he said it was a college and he had to take the call in Joyce's office. I was left for the hour (or however long it was) to doing meds and taking care of the floor. He came out after a really long time and said that you had signed him up for college and he was starting soon. I was surprised and he seemed perturbed. :-)

    ReplyDelete